Thursday, July 29, 2010

What's a difference in a day? A lot

It dawns on me as I get to the end of July that the volume of miles just isn't there this year. Going to have to do something about that. I had 11 miles scheduled and added another for 12 on a Thursday night. Fun times in marathon training.

But this year has been easier on me. For the most part, I've taken training down to a more laid back approach, though 55 mile a week peak is not bad mileage at all.

I'm now at 186 miles, just a long run away from hitting 200 for the month. Last year, I hit more than 200 miles a month five times, doing April, then June to September. Man, I was hitting it hard, and it paid off with a fantastic fall marathon.

This year, I got up to 196 miles in March, but have yet to edge past 200. My knee, which has been bothering me for a few months, is on the road to recovery, and I'm raring to get some strong miles back in me. I won't go for speed quite yet, but that 200, seems like a good enough reason to do my long run on Saturday, the last day of the month, and a day that's forecast to be perfect for summer running (cool). Sunday, it'll just be another month, and who'd want to waste those miles on August?

2 comments:

Marlene said...

I'd be tempted to do the same! The air felt GREAT this morning... should be good for tomorrow morning too. Have a good one!

Boris T said...

The air is feeling better, the humidity is dying. Some decent runs will be happening soon.