Sunday, May 17, 2009

Value in rest

Ran my third race in three weeks, the Capitol Hill Classic 10K, this morning. I'll write up a race report later but now with that over with, I'm going to return to base mileage building running. I have to say, running a race a week after a marathon is a little dangerous so I kept the pace down and didn't let myself get out of hand. Now the recovery begins. In other words, for the rest of May, I'm going to run -- long, short, medium -- but take it easy.

I think it's important to rest up between my programs and some slower mileage can't hurt. It's true that the marathon does do some damage to your muscles and I want to be in top form as I enter mid-June.

So I'm going to follow the recovery mesocycle outlined in the Pftizinger-Douglas program. For the next week, it calls for:

Monday: Rest (although I may to a 5 miler and take Tuesday off)
Tuesday: 5 miles recovery
Wednesday: 5 miles recovery
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 6 miles recovery
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 8 miles  GA


Looking over the program, it'll get me at 24 miles next week, then a progession like this over the next three weeks: 31 miles, 36 miles, 41 miles. No run is longer than 13 miles and I'll be ramping up to 6 days a week. I think I may ramp up the final week to 45 miles as I start up the 18 week program the week after than (the first week calls for 54 miles).

Gonna savour the next few weeks, it's going to get interesting again.

No comments: