Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Drip, drip, drip...

Really needed a run. Long day and just wanted to vent. So went out for a 6 miler. It had poured rain earlier in the afternoon and though it was not raining, it was really cloudy.

At exactly the halfway point, the turnaround, drops started to fall. Drops turned into a downpour. I ran 400 metres the planted myself under a tree but I was still getting wet. So I decided to embrace the pouring rain and ran into puddles, around ponds and into asphalt covered by a layer of water being pelted with the splashes made possible by big fat raindrops. I was making my own splashes with each foot plant. There were a few runners and as the water poured down my hat and I started to blow out water that was trying to get into my mouth, I'd wave to my comrade.

I stepped up the pace, welcomed the cooling rain. My only fear was really chafing at the, um, chest area but it turned out okay. Twenty-five minutes I spend in this downpour and after a quick stretch, I entered my condo's lobby.

Drip, drip, drip. My shorts were soaked, My top was soaked and I was glistening raindrops. My hat was saturated with water and my lips tasted of salt. As I walked near the elevator, I couldn't stop the huge smile from breaking out. Freaking loved that.

Clothes are in the laundry and I just stuffed newspaper into my shoes to start sucking out the water. I bought those Asics GT2130s a week ago. I think it's safe to say they've been newly christened.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I love running in the rain - there is something liberating about it.

yumke said...

I admit I'd rather not start a run in the rain, but have it rain part way through, I'm usually pretty happy